How to Create and Deploy an Appliance on AWS
Learn how to create and deploy an appliance on AWS using an existing model.
The instructions below will create a PBS Professional cluster with a headnode and 2 execution nodes.
- Login credentials for PBScloud.io
- AWS IAM account name
Creating the Appliance
Accessing Appliance page
- Open your web browser, navigate to http://app.pbscloud.io.
- Login to PBScloud.io with your credentials.
- Click Appliance.
- Click New to open the New Appliance page.
Part 1: Adding Cluster Information
- Enter the following fields:
- Choose Model - select PBS Pro minimal (v2).
- Appliance Name - enter pbspro. This will be the prefix name to all the nodes in this appliance).
- Description - enter a description that best explains your appliance configuration.
- manager - select your name since you will need to manage this appliance.
- view - select your name since you will need to view this appliance.
- Click Next.
Part 2: Configuring the Cluster
- For Cloud Provider, click the AWS symbol
- For Cloud Account, click your AWS user name (i.e. pbscloud_user)
- From the Select a region menu, choose the region based on the most suitable geographic location for the users of this appliance.
- Click Next.
Part 3: Model - Instance Type
The following steps define a small HPC cluster by choosing the headnode and execution nodes configurations (i.e. number of CPUs, GPUs, memory, cost). For training purposes, a small cluster is deployed having a headnode with two execution nodes each having a single CPU and 2GB of memory.
- Select t2.small for the HPC cluster headnode configuration by scrolling down the list and enabling the Assigned checkbox next to t2.small. Do not increase the COUNT.
- Click Mom
- Select t2.small for the HPC cluster execution node configuration by scrolling down the list and enabling the Assigned checkbox next to t2.small.
- Increase the number of execution nodes to 2.
- Click Next.
Part 4: Model Parameters
The Model Parameters displayed are the default users and account settings necessary for PBS Works to be installed, configured, and run properly. DO NOT change any of these parameters.
- Click Instantiate appliance
Deploying the appliance
Part 1: Starting the appliance
- In the Appliances page, you will see the newly created appliance (i.e. PBSPRO_)
- Click the appliance name to view the details of the appliance
- To start the deployment, click play
- The deployment sequence will take some time to fully deploy depending on the size and configuration the appliance.
- Refresh the screen to view the status
- You can check the status of each of the instances from the AWS console
Status of deployment
- DOWN - the appliance has not started on the cloud provider
- IN PROGRESS - the appliance is being deployed on the cloud provider
- UP - the appliance has been fully deployed on the cloud provider
- BROKEN - the appliance failed to deploy successfully, the instances may be still running on the cloud provider
- Start - starts the deployment of the appliance and initiates on the cloud provider
- Stop - stops the appliances and terminates (destroys) the instances on the cloud provider
- Delete - deletes the appliance from PBScloud.io
- Once an appliance has started, the instances will be running on your cloud provider. You must manually, stop or delete the appliance to avoid additional cloud provider costs.